Screaming her way to number one on our list of the best heroines in horror history is Scream’s Sidney Prescott.
More from 1428 Elm
- Shudder Original Terrified: Poltergeist or Dimensional Beings?
- Godzilla Minus One makes the King of the Monsters terrifying again
- A Creature Was Stirring scares up yuletide frights
- Unwrapping the Unhappy Holidays collection on Shudder
- Holiday Horror viewing guide: 20+ movies to stream this Christmas
First introduced to audiences in the 1996 classic, Sidney is the epitome of strong, tough heroines. Played by the amazing Neve Campbell, Prescott is one of the best female characters to ever grace the silver screen. While continually out-smarting the villain, Prescott uses her brains to kill and vanquish the murder’s brawn.
Also, there’s no female protagonist in horror history who is so tied to the mythology and plot of their series. Every killer in the Scream series kills because of Sidney in one way or another. Hell, even Scream 2’s Mickey only became involved because he met “Debbie Salt” online. This alone should make Prescott a contender on anyone’s list.