Bruce Campbell is a versatile actor who has appeared in every film genre at one time or another. That is why it isn’t surprising that he was in the 2009 hit children’s movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Join us as we take a look at some behind the scenes trivia from this entertaining production.
Bruce Campbell has been in all sorts of films throughout his career. He runs the gamut from horror to comedy to sci-fi to animation and yes, he has even appeared in a French film, La Patinoire! In 2009, he starred in the beloved children’s classic, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
No matter what age you are, this movie resonates for anyone who has ever had a dream that seemed impossible to reach. It is the story of a young scientist named Flint Lockwood who is the running joke of his small town of Swallow Falls.
Most of his inventions, while well intentioned, never pan out. His father, Tim wants him to work in the family business which is a tackle shop and of course, Flint has no aptitude for that.
The problem is Flint and his father never saw eye to eye on anything. While his father wasn’t his biggest cheerleader, his mother was and after she passed away, the two men struggle to connect with one another.
Then one day, Flint creates a machine that turns water into food. What could be his greatest triumph might turn out to be a disaster if Mayor Shelbourne has his way. At first, the Mayor appears to be altruistic with only the town’s best interests at heart.
As the story progresses though, we see how he is obsessed with his legacy to be “one big mayor.” And if that means destroying Flint’s reputation in the process than that’s the breaks. In case you haven’t seen Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, I won’t spoil it for you.
Let’s just say that every dog has his day. And in Bruce’s words, the film will leave you feeling all “warm and fuzzy.”
Big Trivia Fun Time“Mayor Shelbourne” voiced by Bruce Campbell in Columbia Pictures’ animated film CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS.
For those of you that enjoy behind the scenes trivia and fun facts, we have compiled a few about Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Of course, they are Campbell-centric.
- According to Bruce, there is an R-rated DVD version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for foreign release. There were a couple of scenes that had to be cut for the U.S. version.
- Mayor Shelbourne, unlike the other characters in the movie is not in the children’s book.
- Interestingly enough, Bill Hader who voiced Flint Lockwood, didn’t meet Bruce during filming. The two men didn’t come face to face until the premiere which was on Sept. 12, 2009.
- In a fascinating bit of coincidence, Billy Bob Thornton was in the first season of Fargo. Bruce appeared in the second season as Ronald Reagan. Billy Bob was one of the contenders for the role of Mayor Shelbourne. While I can sort of see that occurring, Campbell was the better man for the job. He is more skilled at playing bombastic than Thornton, in my opinion. Larger than life personalities come easier to Bruce.
- Much like the lore of Campbell’s character, The Ringmaster bestowing Spider-Man with his name, in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, the Mayor is integral to the plot. His character is what propels the story forward. Without him, most of the misadventures that occur in the movie would not have taken place.
If you haven’t seen this film and you enjoy Bruce Campbell’s work, then I highly recommend it. He has quite a bit of fun with the role and it is one of his best performances.
What is your favorite Bruce Campbell non-Ash Williams role? Let us know in the section below. We want to hear from you.