Between Fantasy Island, The Lodge, Brahms: The Boy II, and more, horror in February is giving the season of romance a run for its money.
February is often one of those months you either love or hate. If you’re a big Valentine’s Day fan then you might be heaven, but for others, it’s a mid-winter month with a confusing number of days. The good news for horror lovers is that quite a few new terrifying and intriguing projects will be released next month!
From Netflix’s highly-anticipated adaptation of Joe Hill’s Locke and Key to the sequel of The Boy, at least February won’t be dull.
Locke and Key
- Starring: Jackson Robert Scott, Connor Jessup, Emilia Jones, Sherri Saum, Griffin Gluck, and Darby Stanchfield
- Release Date: Feb. 7 on Netflix
Locke and Key is based on the Joe Hill graphic novel series of the same name. The series follows a group of siblings that discover a set of magical keys that grant them abilities. Unfortunately, they don’t realize that by finding the keys, they’ve also triggered the attention of a dangerous demon that will stop at nothing to get its hands on them.
- Director: Jeff Wadlow
- Starring: Michael Peña, Maggie Q, Lucy Hale, Austin Stowell, Portia Doubleday, Jimmy O. Yang, Ryan Hansen, and Michael Rooker
- Release Date: In theaters on Feb. 14
Based on the popular 1970s television series of the same name, Fantasy Island follows a group of travelers who think they’re headed toward a paradise, only to learn that the island is far more sinister than they could have ever imagined.
More from Horror News
- Shudder Original Terrified: Poltergeist or Dimensional Beings?
- Genre actress Frances Sternhagen passes away at age 93
- Why Drag Me to Hell is more than a horror film for Sam Raimi
- Totally Killer marks the return of final girl horror
- AMC Networks ups the ante on horror with Comic Con New York contributions
Since Fantasy Island releases on Valentine’s Day, it’s the perfect date night movie for those who would rather skip the romantic comedies. Plus, stay tuned to 1428 Elm for an awesome chat with the movie’s makeup and hair designer!
The Lodge (2019)
- Directors: Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala
- Starring: Riley Keough, Jaeden Martell, Lia McHugh, Alicia Silverstone, and Richard Armitage
- Release Date: In theaters on Feb. 7
The Lodge is a haunting new horror film led by Riley Keough. The movie received rave reviews after premiering at Sundance last year and will finally be released theatrically this month.
It’s a psychological thriller following a young woman taking care of her stepchildren in a reclusive lodge in the dead of winter. While there, she begins to unravel dark secrets from her past that threaten to haunt them all.
Also releasing in February:
- Come to Daddy – In theaters on Feb.7
- Brahms: The Boy II – In theaters on Feb. 21
- The Invisible Man – In theaters on Feb. 28
What horror content are you most looking forward to in February? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.