Scream Factory’s ‘Shocktober’ promotion offers horror fans a chance to fill in gaps in their Blu-ray collection with some sweet discounts.
Since its inception as the horror arm of Shout! Factory, Scream Factory has offered horror fans a consistent stream of Blu-ray releases, from the obscure to the well-known (their jaw-dropping Friday the 13th box set was unleashed yesterday).
For fans of the genre, “the holidays” do not pertain to Christmas cheer. It’s all about the carving of jack-o-lanterns, black cats, and witchy apparel. When the leaves start to fall, when the wind carries an autumnal chill, and when it starts to get dark earlier, the promise of snack-size chocolate is as inevitable as the ramping up of horror being brought to the forefront of brick-and-mortar stores and online retailers alike.
In other words, “it’s the most wonderful time of the year!”
The discounts range from older titles in the Scream catalog, to more recent releases. In any case, the variety in the 80+ offerings is so wide that even the most discerning horror fan should find at least one title to strike their fancy.
As someone who has shelf space devoted solely to Scream Factory releases, I offer ten recommendations from the sale for anybody who’s on the fence:
- 10 to Midnight – Charles Bronson hunts a serial slasher
- Candyman – Tony Todd classic (a steal at under $10)
- Drag Me to Hell – Sam Raimi’s horror comeback
- House on Haunted Hill – This remake is 93 minutes of Halloween fun
- Serial Mom – Kathleen Turner goes on a suburban rampage in John Waters’ cheeky satire
- April Fool’s Day – A delicious subversion of slasher tropes
- Graveyard Shift – Underrated adaptation of the Stephen King short story
- The House that Jack Built – Lars Von Trier’s epic deconstruction of a serial killer
- Pet Sematary Two – A fascinating hot mess of a sequel
- The Tenant – Roman Polanski’s classic about a paranoid apartment dweller
And there’s plenty more waiting to be discovered. Happy hunting amid the haunting!
The Shocktober sale runs through October 19 at 11:59 PT.
Which Scream Factory offering have you seen? Let us know in the comments.