In 2020, the horror genre witnessed a thrilling array of bone-chilling movies that left audiences on the edge of their seats. As dedicated horror aficionados, we present you with a meticulously curated list of the best horror movies from 2020 that are sure to haunt your dreams and elevate your adrenaline levels.
These cinematic masterpieces brought terror, suspense and creativity to new heights, making it challenging for anyone to resist their captivating allure. In 2020, horror fans were in for a real treat! The movies that came out that year were absolutely amazing and we’ve put together a special list just for you.
These films went above and beyond, surprising us with their creativity and originality. Whether you like spooky ghosts, mind-bending mysteries, or even a bit of humor mixed with horror, there’s something for everyone on this list.
Best horror movies of 2020
- The Haunting of Bly Manor: Kicking off our list is the spine-tingling The Haunting of Bly Manor. though not really a movie (it is instead a Netflix series), Bly Manor definitely deserves to be on the list. This chilling ghost story is set in the chilling English countryside and tells the tale of Dani, a young au pair, who takes care of two orphaned children. As eerie occurrences unfold within the manor, dark secrets and apparitions from the past come to light. The film’s haunting atmosphere and gripping storytelling make it an unforgettable experience.
- His House: Don’t miss out on His House, an exceptional horror film that masterfully blends supernatural terror with poignant social commentary. This heart-pounding story revolves around a Sudanese refugee couple struggling to adapt to their new life in England, only to find malevolent forces lurking within the walls of their new home. With stellar performances and an original plot, His House is a must-watch for horror enthusiasts.
- The Invisible Man: The Invisible Man showcases the brilliance of modern horror filmmaking. Directed by Leigh Whannell, this psychological thriller revolves around Cecilia, portrayed by Elisabeth Moss, who suspects that her abusive ex-partner has turned invisible to torment her. The film’s relentless tension, coupled with a powerful performance by Moss, makes it one of the most memorable horror films of the year.
- Relic: Relic is an unsettling horror film that delves into the complexities of family relationships. When Edna, the matriarch of the family, goes missing, her daughter and granddaughter embark on a journey to find her. As they explore her decaying home, they encounter disturbing and supernatural manifestations. The film masterfully blends psychological horror with family drama, leaving viewers haunted by its profound themes.
- Host: In a year dominated by the pandemic, Host ingeniously capitalizes on the surge in video conferencing. This innovative found-footage horror film takes place entirely on a Zoom call, where a group of friends conducts a virtual seance, unintentionally summoning malevolent spirits. Host proves that even amidst restrictions, creativity can thrive, offering a fresh and terrifying experience.
- The Dark and the Wicked: The ominous ambiance of The Dark and the Wicked lingers with viewers long after the credits roll. This supernatural horror film follows siblings returning home to their family farm to care for their ailing father. However, they soon find themselves entangled in a web of nightmarish events and demonic encounters. The film’s foreboding atmosphere and unrelenting dread set it apart as a standout horror gem.
- Possessor: Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, Possessor is a surreal and thought-provoking sci-fi horror blend. The story revolves around Tasya Vos, an assassin who uses brain-implant technology to inhabit other people’s bodies to execute high-profile targets. As she takes on her latest job, she finds herself trapped in the mind of her host, leading to an unsettling battle for control. The film’s innovative premise and visceral visuals make it a remarkable addition to the genre.
- Freaky: Freaky brings a delightful twist to the horror-comedy subgenre. When a serial killer magically swaps bodies with his would-be victim, a high school girl named Millie, hilarity and chaos ensue. As Millie navigates the challenges of being in a killer’s body, she must find a way to reverse the curse before it becomes permanent. This entertaining and energetic film strikes the perfect balance between laughs and scares.
- Gretel & Hansel: For fans of fairy tale adaptations with a dark twist, Gretel & Hansel is an enchanting yet eerie choice. This atmospheric reimagining of the classic tale follows Gretel and Hansel as they venture into the woods, only to encounter a malevolent witch. With its stunning visuals and unsettling atmosphere, the film breathes new life into a familiar story.
- Color Out of Space: Adapted from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, Color Out of Space is a mind-bending cosmic horror experience. Starring Nicolas Cage, the film portrays a family’s encounter with a mysterious and otherworldly force that alters reality itself. Its blend of sci-fi and horror elements creates a mesmerizing and unsettling journey.
A Spotlight on 2020’s Horror Gems
It’s not just about jump scares and creepy monsters. These movies took us on wild rides, exploring the deepest corners of our minds and emotions. Some of them were set in haunted mansions with ghostly apparitions, while others took us on a psychological rollercoaster, making us question what’s real and what’s not.
And guess what? We also had a good laugh with horror-comedies that made us chuckle and scream at the same time! It’s proof that horror doesn’t always have to be all dark and gloomy.
What’s even more amazing is that these movies touched a wide range of people. It didn’t matter what your taste was; you were bound to find something you loved in this collection. They left a lasting impact, making us think and feel long after the credits rolled.
2020 was a year that pushed the boundaries of horror storytelling. It showed us that fear isn’t limited to just one formula. Instead, it’s like a big canvas where creators can paint their wildest and scariest imaginations.
So, if you’re ready for some hair-raising fun, these movies are waiting for you to dive in! Don’t be afraid to explore the unknown and embrace the thrill of these cinematic masterpieces.
As we look back at these fantastic films, we can’t help but feel excited about the future of horror. It’s a genre that’s always evolving, surprising us with new twists and turns. And you know what? We can’t wait to see what’s next!