There are a lot of rumored projects based on Stephen King’s novels in the works. We’ve compiled a handy guide to everything coming up.
It seems like every day a new Stephen King adaptation is announced. We’re in something of a King renaissance right now thanks to the popularity of films like It Chapter One and Chapter Two. However, with so many projects announced, it’s easy to lose track of them. We’ve created a guide to help you figure out what’s on the horizon.
Some projects have also been announced and then seemingly abandoned so we’ve taken note of the announcements where nothing has come of fruition in over a year or more.
David E. Kelly and Jack Bender, the creative team behind FX’s Mr. Mercedes (another King adaptation) purchased the rights to Stephen King’s latest novel The Institute this past fall, reports Deadline.
Another adaptation of Salem’s Lot is supposedly on the way. The Wrap reported that Gary Dauberman was set to write the script and James Wan joined as a producer on the project this past April. However, we haven’t heard anything about it since then.
The Long Walk
In March of this year, it was announced that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark director, André Øvredal, would take over as director for an upcoming film adaptation of The Long Walk.
AMC made a commitment to a pilot script for the book written by Owen and Stephen King. Nothing else is yet known about the potential television series.
The Dark Tower
Even though the film version of The Dark Tower didn’t perform well in theaters, the series is getting a second life on Amazon. The company purchased the rights to the story and will reboot it in a television show format.
Blumhouse will tackle a Firestarter remake with director Keith Thomas. The news was announced just last week as reported by Vulture.
Also coming up:
- From a Buick 8 – Thomas Jane to star
- Lisey’s Story – In development at Apple TV+, Julianne Moore to star
- The Outsider – A limited series premiering on HBO on January 12, 2020
- The Stand – A limited series coming to CBS All Access in 2020
- Revival – Russell Crowe was announced to star in 2016, however the project may be dead
- The Talisman – A feature-length film is allegedly in development with Amblin Pictures
- The Tommyknockers – It was reported in 2018 that a film version was in development
- Joyland – A Freeform series was said to be in development for the book but nothing has come of it in over a year
- Carrie – FX just announced it was developing a limited series
- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon – A film version is in development with George A. Romero’s production company
- N. – A television series was in development for the novella but there has been no news since 2017
Are you looking forward to the upcoming Stephen King adaptations? Are there any of his works that haven’t been adapted yet you would like to see? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.